L i s a P o p e
Thursday, February 2nd, 2023 Demo Artist
10:00 am - 2:00pm
Project Plan & Materials List
I will be using watercolor to paint a clear glass jar with marbles and strong shadows. An 8x10 line drawing will be provided. Those wishing to paint along with me during the demo can print the drawing and trace it onto watercolor paper ahead of time. I recommend applying masking fluid to all the sparkles on the glass where they want to save the white of the paper.
I have a video showing how to apply masking fluid on my Facebook page at Lisa Girouard Pope Fine Art
These are the materials I will be using but feel free to use paints and paper you already have.
- 140lb cold press Fabriano Artistico extra white paper. I tape my paper to a foam backing board
- Winsor & Newton colourless art masking fluid applied with a toothpick and plastic angled brush handle
- Pencil, rubber eraser to remove the masking fluid
- Palette, paper towel roll, water spray bottle, container of rinse water
- Various small round synthetic brushes sizes 00-8. An angled dagger striper 1/8 (to remove thin lines of paint for details. A very small flat brush will work too)
- Artist quality watercolor paint including Daniel Smith, Winsor & Newton, Holbein, and DaVinci
W&N winsor blue (green shade), use at least 4 warm and cool blues you may have
Quinophthalone yellow, any bright yellow will work
Daniel Smith undersea green
Daniel Smith green apatite genuine
Holbein leaf green
Daniel Smith perinone orange
Permanent alizarine crimson
Signature member of the Northwest Watercolor Society and Pikes Peak Watercolor Society.
lisa_pope_art on Instagram
I attempt to capture light and color that breathe life into the subjects I paint. I wish to carry the viewer on this journey with me, to find interest in the ordinary.
I have always loved art. However, I chose to pursue a career in education as a school counselor, got married and started a family, which left little time for art. I grew to miss it. About 12 years ago, I began to immerse myself in painting every chance I get and reading all I can about art. I reconnected to my original love for art. I love how it feels to start with a fresh piece of paper. It’s like I’m seeing something for the first time, when I study it to paint it. I apply paint and can’t wait to see what happens. Pablo Picasso was quoted as saying, "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." This is what I am attempting to do – return to the art I love and see the world with fresh new eyes. ... It feels like a rebirth. I have lived on both coasts of the United States, Canada and Guam and now live in Puyallup, WA. I feel fortunate to have experienced the sites, food, friendly people and cultures. I hope my paintings capture a glimpse of all the natural beauty I have seen from places I have been. I paint with watercolor, acrylic and soft pastel.
Awards and Recognitions:
- 2022 Juried into the 49th Annual Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Exhibition, “Fresh Baked”
- 2022 Honorable Mention ribbon for "Cobalt Bumboozer" at the Washington State Fair Fine Art Show
- 2022 Juried into 54th Watercolor West International Juried Exhibition, “Butcher Block Berries”
- 2022 Juried into the NWWS Waterworks Unlimited Membership Exhibition, “Superfruit”
- 2022 Juried into Louisiana Watercolor Society 52nd International Exhibit, “Pretzel Bites”
- 2021 Juried into the NWWS 81st Annual International Open Exhibit Online, "Golden Harvest"
- 2021 Selected for the NWWS Signature Exhibition, “Blue”
- 2021 Juried into the Watercolor West 53rd Juried Exhibition “Cobalt Bumboozer”
- 2021 Juried into the NWWS Waterworks Unlimited Membership Exhibition. “Cobalt Bumboozer”
- 2021 Finalist Award "Reaching Beyond Her Comfort Zone", Women in Watercolor International Juried Competition
- 2021 Honorable Mention ribbon for "Seeing Green" at the Washington State Fair Fine Art Show
- 2021 Juried into Louisiana Watercolor Society 51st International Exhibit, “Seeing Green”
- 2020 Juried into the NWWS 80th Annual International Open Exhibit Online, "Blue Refraction"
- 2020 Juried into the 2020 Open Juried Show with the Peninsula Art League, "Hot Pink"
- 2020 Honorable Mention for "Life in Shadows", Women in Watercolor International Juried Competition
- 2020 Harriet Q Johnson Cash Award "Life in Shadows", NWWS Waterworks Unchained + ONLINE Show
- 2020 Arnold's Furniture Purchase Prize Award for "Losing My Marbles" at The Annual CVG Show
- 2019 Honorable Mention ribbon for "Losing My Marbles" at the Washington State Fair Fine Art Show
- 2018 Juried into the Itty Bitty Show at Gallery Row in Gig Harbor,WA. Show dates May 5th to May 31st,
- 2017 First place ribbon for “Blackberry Bramble” at the Washington State Fair Art Show
- 2017 and 2016 accepted into the Randy Higbee Gallery 6” Squared Judged Exhibit
- 2014 Merit Award for “Bayou Retreat” in the Louisiana Art and Artist Guild, fall show
- 2014 Second Place ribbon “Mardi Gras Glitter “Louisiana Art and Artist Guild, spring show
- 2014 First Place ribbon for “Creating” in the Art for Madisonville Exhibit
- 2014 First Place ribbon for “Good Bedfellows” in the Zfest Art Show
- 2014 Juried into Brush with Burden, LSU AgCenter
- 2014 Juried into the National 45th Annual River Road Show
- 2013 Juried into the National 44th Annual River Road Show
- 2013 Honorable Mention for “Two Elephants”, The Louisiana Watercolor Society Spring Member Show